Saturday, January 22, 2011

Looking Back: Garwood Mayor Tom Dolly Resigns from his Post in 1992


Back on January 2, 1992 the Cranford Chronicle reported that Garwood Mayor Tom Dolly was resigning after serving just 1 term as Mayor. Dolly cited work and health reason for stepping down. As he left office he commented that, "I love Garwood. It's a nice little town. I'm proud to have been elected and that the people thought of me that way. I enjoyed every minute of it, and would do it again."


Dolly also commented about consolidation. He surmised that towns like Garwood could one day be gobbled up by larger neighboring towns. He said, "I like home rule- but state dictates favor big cities."


Referring to small Union County towns like Garwood he said, "I don't know how they will be able to survive without consolidation."


Looking Back will be a monthly series in 2011 and will include historical newspaper snippets from Garwood's paper of record- the Cranford Chronicle.


DOLLY DEPARTS 

No comments:

Post a Comment